Welcome to our blog! Because we have friends and family all over the world (and we're bad at sending letters) we hope this will keep everyone updated on our lives. Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

So much to post...(political by Tracy)

Wow. What a week. We had a wonderful vacation with family, we're on the verge of a referral for a baby boy (this month, maybe this week). I'll post more on the above very soon, with pictures.

Tonight, I've watched history made as Obama gets the Democratic nomination. I'm so hopeful for our future and so proud that I can tell my kids about this day. To see both Obama and Clinton get people involved in politics for the first time. This is one of the most exciting times in our country's history.

I'm under no illusion that this day fixes all our problems, breaks away racism or completely fulfills Dr. King's Dream. But it sure brings us closer to that dream. I used to go to the polls with my dad when he voted. He let me go into the booth, and watch him vote. He talked about politics, history and why it was important to vote. I couldn't wait to turn 18 and have this privilege. I believe voting is the great equalizer in our country...it's the biggest way one can have their voice heard. I saw the movie "Iron Clad Angels" which depicted the Women's suffrage fight in the 1910s. The main character was handing out pamphlets attempting to get factory workers to come to a rally. One worker said "I can't miss work, I'd lose my job." The main character talked about the Triangle factory fire, which killed over 100 workers in NYC. She said "that fire killed workers because there were no fire escapes. Do you want a fire escape?" The worker nodded. "Well, a VOTE is a fire escape." And that's what it's all about. A vote is a fire escape, a vote is a voice, a vote is a change. Yes we can.

What was most amazing about this race is that everyone had a voice, and over 35 million people voted in the primary. In some states, more people voted in this primary than did in 2004. Yes, I'm excited that Obama won, but I'm more excited that more young people and previously uninterested people became involved in the process. It's historic, not only for Obama's nod, but historic to see people interested, and while still not completely united, involved.

What a night, what a time to be alive and watch history over the past months. Maybe we'll see some positive change.

No comments: