The quake was centered near Salem IL, (located NO WHERE NEAR US 230 miles southwest) and was registered as a 5.4 at the center. News reports are telling us it was felt all through the area, from the IL border, Chicago, Louisville KY and the OH border. Louisville KY was just shown on the news with some damage in roadways and a firetruck on site. We recently learned about the US geological survey website where you can report your experience (thanks to a sermon). We got to report what the earthquake felt like, and it told us we felt something between a 4 and a 5 (but, it asked "was the shake mild or moderate"? Well, this Midwestern gal thought it was moderate!!! Don't know what CA people would think!).
In all seriousness, as we read the US geo website, we realized how minor this was for us. The question "was there damage?" included damage of separation from the building's foundation. So, a few statues falling is mild.
Enjoy our pictures!
2 comments:
I didn't feel it, but I heard it. It sounded like the lady upstaris had a heard of cattle over. I didn't realize what had happened and until I put it together with the news reports later.
Erin
So you survived your first earthquake! Scary the first time, aren't they??? Is that part of the New Madrid Fault line? I remember the first one I felt, it was what was known as a "snap" earthquake, which was just a sudden literal "snap" where everything moved violently for just an instant, followed by a sonic boom. Scared the you-know-what out of me, though I wasn't sure what it was at first because it wasn't what I imagined an earthquake to be like. The first earthquake that woke me up was a 7.0 "rolling" quake out in Joshua Tree - was only in the 5's by the time it reached LA, but car alarms were sounding, windows rattled and I remember looking up at my ceiling fan shake going "uh oh..." then when it was over, rolled over and went back to sleep. DOH!
Post a Comment