Welcome to our blog! Because we have friends and family all over the world (and we're bad at sending letters) we hope this will keep everyone updated on our lives. Enjoy!

Monday, September 3, 2007

Sept 1

Hello again! Wanted to post another update as we settle in to our new jobs. Shahra began daycare a week ago and is loving her time with new kids and new art projects. Perhaps you are aware that Jeff and I don't really do a lot with arts and crafts. Shahra has played with crayons and pictures, but has never before enjoyed activities such as "Pink Week" (all art projects involved the color pink), fingerpainting flowers, or "Fun with Foam" (this included playing with shaving foam and other fluffy, messy things). Jeff's schedule allows him to pick Shahra up earlier most days, so she isn't overwhelmed by her time in daycare.

Jeff began work two weeks ago and made some wonderful acquaintances. Right now, he is examining the history of the teaching of college composition t from 1960-present and reading Charles Dickens' David Copperfield. Jeff also took on the task as web master for his department's "Graduate Student Advisory Board," which advocates for student resources, including travel funds for conferences. He will update the GSAB website and keep things in good working order. Fall is a great time on a university campus, with excited freshman, new programs, and numerous activities. The only problem is that the freshman get younger every year and we keep getting older! This year's freshman class was born in 1989. For them, Russia has never been communist. Freshmen also don't remember a time without the internet or a personal computer in the home. Quite humbling if you think about it!
Tracy began work last week at St. Vincent Hospice in Indianapolis. Things are going well as she spent a lot of the week in orientation and learning about hospital policy. Her coworkers are great and are religiously diverse. The commute isn't too bad, especially compared to Twin Cities traffic!

Labor Day weekend was very relaxing. We toured Mounds State Park on Labor Day and hiked on a few local trails (I'll post pictures another time, just haven't uploaded them yet.) We also ventured into Indianapolis Sunday afternoon and did a bit of shopping. Shahra's 2nd birthday is next Tuesday, so we began the hunt for presents. Right now, Shahra enjoys her Elmo toys and new Elmo slippers from grandma and grandma.
That's about all for now. Hope this post finds you well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep posting. We enjoy the read!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi T, J, and S!
Thanks for the great pictures and updates. I'm glad things are off to a fun start. Campus here is sort of a downer since the thefts at the Liggettes. This past Saturday night - a car parked on the opposite side of their street started on fire between 12:30 -1:30 am. Rob Myallis came out and found it - got a fire extinguisher and called the f.d. The car is destroyed inside, anyway.

Fall on campus is the best time. Hope to discover some of that will carry over here. We have a dinner Sept. 25 to find out more about the process of approval/assign. that we are now 'swimming' in. I do hope it is downstream - smooth. But, oh well...the current or the desire to just get down is undeniable.

Peace and joy,
Linda M.

Anonymous said...

Tracy, Jeff and Shara-
I'm glad to hear that things are going well for all of you. God had a plan for you in having you do hospice work Tracy and I am so glad that things are working out. I would love to hear how things are going as you get deeper into the job.

Molly

Natalie said...

What great stories you tell! Shahra is looking happy, chubby, and all those wonderful things a healthy little girl should be. My cousin is adopting from Ethiopia and I gave testament on how great your family is! Way to spread the joy!

I'll look forward to more updates about life in In-dih-anah...!

Your neighbor up north,
Natalie

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! I still have to read your blog to get the Luther Seminary update! Crazy. Ella is looking forward to Shahra's birthday and we hope to have something in the mail for her soon. Ethiopian millenium, yea! Just wanted to let you know that Tsewaye feels really bad that they missed spending time with you. I gave them pictures of the girls together when they came to our house for lunch on Saturday and they seemed to enjoy them. I'll try to call you sometime soon. Love to all of you, Amy

Anonymous said...

Hey! Glad to hear things are going well for you so far! Thus far, my internship has been pretty low key, although things will be picking up soon, I'm sure! As long as the congregation doesn't close while I'm there, life will be good.

We're still working on getting our cars repaired from all the damage by the car thieves...the convertible is drivable via hotwiring, and the other firebird should be fixed soon, at least enough to drive (yay!).

Anyway, again, glad things are going well! Happy Birthday to Shahra next week!

-Karen

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Indiana! I to live in Indiana (Columbus, south of Indianapolis on 65). I saw your blog on CHSFS and decided to check it out. I'm preparing to start the adoption process for Ethiopia and am surfing the net trying to find information. That's how I stumbled onto your blog. I just wanted to welcome your family to our great state.